Avid Introduces Next-Generation RAID Solutions
Tewksbury, Mass, 2008-05-05 Avid Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVID) today announced the next-generation of its high-performance storage disk arrays – Avid® VideoRAID® ST and Avid VideoRAID SR solutions – which combine real-time performance, cost-effective SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) drive technology, and the security of fail-safe data protection in the event of a disk drive failure. Unlike other RAID solutions that may be unusable during a drive rebuild, Avid VideoRAID solutions help customers keep up with the fast pace of digital content creation by maintaining full performance and data protection, while rebuilding the drives in the background. Customers will also be able to take advantage of real-time playback of up to two streams of uncompressed HD on as few as eight Avid VideoRAID drives. Additionally, Avid is offering all new VideoRAID ST and SR customers a three year warranty on drive mechanisms and enclosures, providing advanced exchange of replacements parts at no additional cost.
This is just another example of how Avid continues to drive high-quality products to market that offer great performance and value to our customers, said Kirk Arnold, executive vice president and general manager of Avid Video. By offering real-time parity with these new solutions, Avid is able to help eliminate the headaches and loss of valuable hours and money associated with downtime. This news, coupled with the new editing lineup we announced last month, is just another example of how Avid is continuing to innovate and deliver on its New Thinking.
Available in a 5-drive tower (ST) or a 16-drive rack mount (SR) configuration, Avid VideoRAID ST/SR disk arrays support a wide range of Avid editing systems, including the recently announced Media Composer®, Symphony™ Nitris® and NewsCutter® family of products, as well as third-party applications, via an industry-standard SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) interconnect. The products provide the protection of parity through the use of RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) which can handle multiple streams of uncompressed SD and HD media with ease and offer a capacity ranging from 2.5TB to 16TB per editing system.
New Features of Avid VideoRAID ST/SR
Avid's new VideoRAID ST/SR storage configurations offer a number of new features and benefits to customers, including:
- Fail-safe protection of content – Real-time parity RAID goes beyond conventional RAID protection by enabling systems to continue to operate at full performance with no data loss. Customers will now be able to complete any work in progress during drive failures, without loss of media and without requiring immediate drive replacement.
- Full performance during drive rebuild – Avid VideoRAID ST /SR eliminates costs associated with system downtime by enabling customer's systems to be fully functional during the rebuild process of failed drives. Once the rebuild is complete, Avid VideoRAID resumes full content protection.
- Configuration flexibility – Customers can configure systems to their specific needs with a choice of drive capacity, 5- or 16-drive array models, and up to two arrays supported per CPU. Supported raw capacities range from 2.5TB to 16TB.
- Redundant power supplies (VideoRAID SR models) – Via robust, load-sharing power supplies, customers benefit from added protection and reduced stress on their system, while operating without interruption on only one power supply.
- Removable controllers, drives, and power supplies – Field-replaceable components can be easily removed, making service simple and quick – to maximize uptime.
- Optimized for use with Avid editing systems and software – Customers will benefit from increased productivity in the field as a result of rigorous testing of Avid VideoRAID ST and SR with Avid editing systems and software.
Pricing and Availability
The new Avid VideoRAID solutions are expected to begin shipping in Q2 2008. Pricing begins at $4,795 USMSRP for 2.5TB configurations. For more information on Avid's new VideoRAID offerings, please visit: www.avid.com/videoraidST.
About Avid Technology, Inc.
Avid is a worldwide leader in tools for film, video, audio, 3D animation, gaming and broadcast professionals – as well as for home audio and video enthusiasts Avid professional and consumer brands include Avid, Digidesign®, M-Audio®, Pinnacle Systems®, Sibelius®, Softimage® and Sundance Digital®. The vast majority of primetime television shows, feature films, commercials and chart-topping music hits are made using one or more Avid products. Whether used by seasoned professionals or beginning students, Avid's products and services enable customers to work more efficiently, productively and creatively. Avid received an Oscar statuette representing the 1998 Scientific and Technical Award for the concept, design, and engineering of the Avid Film Composer® system for motion picture editing. For more information about the company's Oscar®, Grammy® and Emmy® award-winning products and services, visit www.avid.com.
# # #
© 2008 Avid Technology, Inc. All rights reserved. Product features, specifications, system requirements and availability are subject to change without notice. Promotions and discounts are subject to availability and change without notice. All prices are USMSRP for the U.S. and Canada only and are subject to change without notice. Contact your local Avid office or reseller for prices outside the U.S. and Canada. Avid, Digidesign, Media Composer, Film Composer, Symphony, Nitris, NewsCutter, M-Audio, Pinnacle Systems, Pro Tools, Sibelius, Softimage, and Sundance Digital are trademarks or registered trademarks of Avid Technology, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Emmy is a registered trademark of ATAS/NATAS. Oscar is a trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Grammy is a trademark of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, Inc. All other trademarks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.