2008 Sundance Film Festival to Feature Works of Several Avid Customers
Park City, Utah, 2008-01-17 Avid Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVID) today announced that a wide variety of independent filmmakers used Avid® products to create films selected for this year's Sundance Film Festival, which will take place in Park City, Utah from January 17 – 27. Avid will also host a series of stage presentations in the New Frontier on Main Street – with special guests including famed Director/Producer Doug Liman (The Bourne Ultimatum, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Swingers) and Editor Kevin Tent (Sideways), amongst others.
Olivier Wicki, editor of the film U2 3D, said, We worked with live-action 3D content from 3ality Digital to create this film. Because we had footage shot at seven live shows and up to nine different cameras at each one, one of the challenges in editing this piece was to make it continuous. I was impressed by how fast the Avid systems moved through the timeline and how responsive the system was given the amount of data it was handling.
The entries at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival recognize a broad range of films, including documentaries, short films and feature-length dramas that were created using Avid systems, such as:
- Adventures of Power
- American Son
- American Teen
- Bigger, Stronger, Faster
- Blind Date
- Death in Love
- Donkey Punch
- Execution of Solomon Harris
- FCU: Fact Checkers Unit
- Flow: For Love of Water – click the following link to listen to the podcast with Editor Caitlin Dixon: http://blog.digitalcontentproducer.com/sundance/2008/01/14/
- George A Romero's Diary of the Dead
- Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
- Good Dick – click the following link to listen to the podcast with Editor Chris Kroll: http://community.avid.com/blogs/default.aspx?GroupID=38
- In Bruges
- Love Comes Lately
- Made in America
- Momma's Man
- Mysteries of Pittsburgh
- Patti Smith: Dream of Life
- Phoebe in Wonderland
- Pretty Bird
- Quid Pro Quo
- Raisin in the Sun
- Savage Grace
- Sunshine Cleaning
- Traces of the Trade: A Story from the Deep North
- Trouble the Water
- U2 3D
- Where in the World is Osama bin Laden?
- Wind, Ten Years Old
- Women of Brukman
- Year of Getting to Know Us
- Yellow Handkerchief
Dan Carey, producer of the film Pretty Bird said, We were under very tight time constraints, so using a reliable system for editing became critical. Our portable Media Composer software system allowed us to finish our edit in an efficient and extremely cost-effective way. I've worked with Avid systems for a long time, and I'm amazed at the evolution I've seen in the product lines. Independent film production often means trying to do a lot with limited resources, and the options that are available now from Avid are great.
Avid's Presence at Sundance
Avid will host three presentations in the New Frontier theatre, from Friday, January 18, through Sunday, January 20, including:
- Creating a Low-Budget Film with High Production Value – Friday, January 18, 4:30 p.m. In this session, Filmmakers Norm Hollyn (USC) and Michael Phillips (Avid) will explore how to add high production value to low budget projects. The pair will walk through their personal experiences in creating their short film Jack in the Box and how using tools like Avid Media Composer® allowed them to create a high-quality finished product, while working on separate coasts – on a very modest budget.
- Doug Liman: Sharing a Vision and the Importance of Finding the Right Editor – Saturday, January 19, 4:30 p.m. Award-winning Director/Producer Doug Liman and Editor Saar Klein (Almost Famous, The Bourne Identity and Liman's latest film Jumpers), will talk about their approach to storytelling - from shooting to the edit room and discuss the various aspects of the director and editor relationship.
- Creative Storytelling: The Craft – Sunday, January 20 at 4:30 p.m. An open discussion on the art of storytelling will be held, featuring Editors Kevin Tent (Sideways, The Golden Compass, Blow), Rob Meyer (Sundance 2008 Aquarium) and John Lyons (Sundance 2008 Death in Love and Savage Grace).
All sessions will be held in the Outerspace Cinema at the New Frontier, on the Lower Level of the Main Street Mall. For more information, visit: http://www.sundance.org/festival/.
About Avid Technology, Inc.
Avid is a worldwide leader in tools for film, video, audio, 3D animation, gaming and broadcast professionals – as well as for home audio and video enthusiasts. Avid professional and consumer brands include Avid, Digidesign, M-Audio, Pinnacle Systems, Sibelius, Softimage and Sundance Digital. The vast majority of primetime television shows, feature films, commercials and chart-topping music hits are made using one or more Avid products. Whether used by seasoned professionals or beginning students, Avid's products and services enable customers to work more efficiently, productively and creatively. Avid received an Oscar statuette representing the 1998 Scientific and Technical Award for the concept, design, and engineering of the Avid® Film Composer® system for motion picture editing. For more information about the company's Oscar®, Grammy® and Emmy® award-winning products and services, visit www.avid.com.
# # #
© 2008 Avid Technology, Inc. All rights reserved. Avid, Digidesign, Media Composer, Film Composer, M-Audio, Pinnacle Systems, Pro Tools, Sibelius, Softimage, and Sundance Digital are trademarks or registered trademarks of Avid Technology, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Emmy is a registered trademark of ATAS/NATAS. Oscar is a trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Grammy is a trademark of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, Inc. All other trademarks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.