Audio Plug-In Developer Program
The Avid Audio Plug-In Developer Program offers a full range of resources to develop high-quality effect and virtual instrument plug-ins that work seamlessly with Pro Tools and other award-willing audio products from Avid. As a member, you’ll receive:
- Detailed documentation including a continually updated SDK, technical notes and code examples to get you started quickly
- Technical support via a forum where Avid professionals and fellow developers can assist you with your questions and issues
- Access to a variety of social media, event and web-based co-marketing services to market your products to our mutual customers
- Guidelines to test your product with Pro Tools systems for performance and compatibility
- Invitations to Development Partners Conferences, kitchens, and other community events
As you decide whether to create an audio plug-in for the Avid platform, here are some important things to know:
- You will be required to review and accept a developer agreement and license that includes a confidentiality agreement and some restrictions on how the Avid developer materials are used.
- You must be willing to make your product available for commercial sale to end-users. We don’t offer our developer materials or services for academic use, experimentation, or “just to check them out.”
- The only third party plug-ins that we allow through this program are software based effects and virtual instruments. If you have an idea for a different type of product, please have a look at our other programs, particularly the Audio Workflow Solutions program.
- AAX plug-ins must be digitally signed and this requires a fee in certain cases. This is part of a comprehensive technical effort to prevent the use of unauthorized copies of your plug-ins (“cracks”) with Avid products.
- You need to be familiar with C++ object-oriented programming. Plug-ins designed for our hardware-accelerated platforms require that you are also familiar with their associated hardware and design tools. Knowledge of the Avid products you are targeting for plug-in development is also key to delivering effective solutions.
In conjunction with the launch of Pro Tools 10, Avid introduced the Avid Audio Extensions (AAX) plug-in specification, designed from the ground up to offer a richly-featured, flexible platform for plug-in development that is engineered for growth. Our developer community is delivering AAX plug-ins for Pro Tools based on plug-ins available on pre-existing Avid platforms and delivering new creations. AAX DSP plug-ins are designed to work on the latest flagship professional digital audio workstation, Pro Tools|HDX. Avid plans to continue to enhance the AAX platform based on your ideas and input, and to drive this groundbreaking technology into future products.
During the transition to AAX, Avid will continue to support and market products that use plug-ins based on AAX and on pre-existing, or “legacy” platforms. These include:
- TDM: A high-performance, real-time audio processing specification based on the Motorola DSP56K platform. Supports Pro Tools|HD Accel Systems and VENUE live sound production systems
- RTAS: A host-based, real-time plug-in specification for effects and virtual instruments. Supports Pro Tools 10 and earlier systems, and the Avid Media Composer® video production product family.
- AudioSuite: A file-based (or “non-real-time”) plug-in specification for effects. Supports Pro Tools versions 10 and earlier, and with Media Composer systems.