System 5-B Features
- System 5-B surface details:
- Accommodate up to 450 modular channels, with 4-band EQ, dynamics, and two filters per channel
- 8 touch-sensitive knobs and a 100mm motorized fader per channel strip
- High-resolution stereo LED meters next to each fader
- TFT high-resolution displays per channel for metering (up to 7.1), EQ, dynamics and pan graphs, and routing
- Create up to 96 mix busses, 48 group busses, 24 Aux sends, and 72 external inputs
- Gain complete ease of use through the intuitive interface
- Expand or customize the modular surface and I/O for your needs
- Get constant visual feedback though high-resolution TFT displays
- Attain the highest sound quality and performance through professional-grade I/O and dedicated DSP
- Get more secure operation—without communication bottlenecks—with the high-speed Ethernet connection
- Accelerate your mixing with up to 240 SnapShot Recalls of all console settings
- Customize the surface with up to 48 Layouts for different configurations
- Easily control routing using the PatchNet digital router/patchbay
- Mix multichannel audio, with surround panning and monitoring as standard
- Gain easy access to multiformat sources with the Spill function
- Integrate console scribble strips to the Image Video Tally TSI-1000 and have them act as UMDs
- Have a fail-safe backup with redundant power supplies
- Option: Add dynamic mix automation and machine control for working with prerecorded material
- Option: Control multiple DAWs (such as Pro Tools, Nuendo, Logic, and more) with EUCON Hybrid
Intuitive, flexible mixing
Much like any audio console, the System 5-B features channel strips and a center section for master facilities. However, no audio flows through the control surface, as the audio electronics are housed remotely, enabling you to customize your I/O and place and rearrange modules in any order. Each module is self-contained with dual redundant power supplies and a high-speed Ethernet connection for responsive control. In addition, you can scale the console with 8-fader modules for your needs. If a fader module fails, you can quickly use other modules to control those sources—without any loss of audio.
You also get constant visual feedback in everything you do, as each channel features stereo LED metering next to each fader, plus high-resolution, multiformat TFT screens to view metering, sources, channels, auxes, groups, and gain reduction. The master module provides you with multiformat metering for the main busses and monitors, while the submaster module offers eight additional programmable meter displays, which you can customize and save as presets.
Powered by DSP
System 5-B is powered by the lightweight and compact DSP SuperCore—a signal-processing engine and router that gives you more than enough DSP horsepower, system functionality, and reliability to satisfy your most demanding broadcast applications. With it, you can easily handle 24-bit, 48 kHz or 96 kHz audio productions, with up to 40-bit floating point processing—or even higher sample rates of up to 384 kHz. A second backup DSP SuperCore with changeover ensures 100% redundancy for complete peace of mind.
The SC263 Studio Computer runs the eMix software, enabling you to easily set up and customize the system, manage files, and perform diagnostics. It also includes PatchNet, a powerful digital patching system that enables you to quickly route all console inputs and outputs—unlike a traditional patchbay, you can store and recall every single patch that you make. It also includes twin drives set up as a RAID array, giving you redundant storage for all data.
Streamline broadcast routing
Set up shows quickly with PatchNet, a powerful digital audio patching system application that’s simple to use. As a faster, easier, and more flexible alternative to a traditional analog patchbay, PatchNet enables you to save and recall setups for each show. It also provides a basic setup, which includes all source and destination designations, to use as a starting point for new shows. You can label each MADI source and destination audio stream in the DSP SuperCore, as well as each audio source within a MADI stream, to keep things organized. All console inputs and outputs also appear in PatchNet for easy patching.
Keep the show running with secure changeover
All audio signals are distributed to both the primary and backup DSP SuperCores, giving you complete redundancy of all MADI I/O, router, and DSP processing. If the diagnostics system detects a fault, it’ll notify the operator, who’s given the option to changeover the system. Primary and backup systems work as one contiguous DSP core, and the changeover function switches all I/O over to the backup system seamlessly.
Customize the I/O for your needs
You can customize System 5-B with as many inputs and outputs as you need by simply adding modular I/O cards to the interface chassis. Choose from a wide range of multichannel digital and analog converters, digital format converters with sample rate conversion, and remote mic/line input amps. Cabling is simplified, as you can place converters next to the equipment with which they interface. This modularity enables facilities to easily change the balance of analog and digital I/O as it makes the move to a fully digital world.
Choose from a wide range of modular converter cards that fit in a 3RU 19” chassis, which conforms to the DIN 41494 specification, and includes dual power supplies. Cards may be fitted in slots at the front and rear of the chassis for high density configurations, and include:
- MADI Interface Module (Coax or Fiber)
- MADI Interface Module (Fiber with Redundancy)
- 16 Ch HD De-Embedder
- 8 Ch SDI De/Embedder Module
- 8 Ch HD/SD SDI De/Embedder
- 4 Ch AES/EBU Input/Output Module
- 8 Ch AES/EBU Input Module
- 8 Ch AES/EBU Output Module
- 4 Ch Analog Line Input Module
- 4 Ch Analog Line Output Module
- 4 Ch Microphone Input Module (2-units wide)
- 4 Ch High-Density Microphone Input Module (1-unit wide)
- Dolby D+ Encoder
- Dolby D/E Decoder
- Dolby E Encoder
- Ethernet Remote Control Module for Mic Pre Control
- Sync Module
- Power Module
Take Control with EUCON
The EUCON Hybrid option for System 5-B extends the control capabilities of the console—beyond its dedicated DSP Core—to the outside world, enabling you to bring audio tracks from multiple DAWs to the console surface for mixing. With the EUCON control protocol, you can take deep, tightly integrated tactile control of an application over high-speed Ethernet—Pro Tools 9, Logic Pro, Pyramix, Nuendo, Digital Performer, and other DAWs all directly support EUCON.
You can select, place, and control tracks on the System 5-B surface from any DAW running the EUCON Client Application on your network. Position tracks anywhere you want on the surface. You can even place multiple tracks from separate DAWs in any order on the surface simultaneously next to System 5-B DSP channels. You can then save these placements as Layouts for easy access and organization—for example, you can have one Layout for DSP channels, one for Pro Tools, and one with combinations from multiple DAWs. This greatly extends the capability of the console, enabling you to access DAW tracks that would otherwise be available only as traditional playback sources. With EUCON Hybrid, it’s now possible to have direct, high-speed access to any of these tracks, their plug-ins, and metering.