Avid Academic Eligibility
Avid Academic Eligibility and Verification
If you’re a student, teacher, or faculty member at a qualified academic institution, you can purchase Avid Academic products at a substantial discount as long as you meet one of the following eligibility requirements and can provide proof of eligibility:
Individuals qualified to buy Academic versions of Sibelius, Pro Tools, and/or Media Composer:
- University/college students—Students enrolled at a higher education institution defined as an accredited, government-recognized public or private university or college (including community, junior, or vocational college) that grants degrees and/or certificates1
- Faculty and staff—Teachers and staff employed by an accredited, government-recognized public or private primary or secondary school, local education authority, or public or private university or college, for-profit career/vocational schools that grant degrees and/or certificates, and schools for instrumental instruction/tuition
- Homeschool teachers—Teachers as defined by local homeschooling regulations detailed at http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp
Individuals qualified to buy Academic versions of Sibelius only:
- Secondary school students—Students enrolled at an accredited, government-recognized public or private secondary school providing full-time instruction1
- Homeschooled secondary students —Secondary students schooled at home, as defined by local regulations detailed at http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp
Please note: If you want to purchase multiple copies of Sibelius, Pro Tools, or Media Composer Academic products for use in your educational institution or want to buy standard (non-Academic) versions of Sibelius, Pro Tools or Media Composer, please contact an Avid Authorized Reseller or Avid directly.
Proof of eligibility
Higher education students—You must show evidence of current enrollment2 at an accredited, government-recognized public or private post-secondary/tertiary degree-granting academic institution, or for-profit career/vocational schools that grants degrees and/or certificates, by providing one of the following:
- A copy of a student ID card containing the student’s name, school name, and the current academic term
- A copy of a tuition statement or course bill that includes the school’s logo or seal, student name, and the current date/academic term
- An official letter from the registrar of the school, including student name, the school name, and the current date/academic term
- A copy of a student schedule including student name, the school name, and the current date/academic term
- A copy of a grade report statement or transcript including student name, the school name, and the current date/academic term
- Screen captures from school websites may be accepted in lieu of official documentation if your name, school name, and valid date are clearly visible (acceptance is at the sole discretion of Avid)
Teachers, faculty, and staff— You must show evidence of current employment at a government-recognized public or private primary or secondary school, local education authority, public or private university or college, for-profit career/vocational school that grants degrees and/or certificates, or school for instrumental instruction/tuition by providing one of the following:
- A copy of a faculty or staff paycheck stub that includes employee name and employer (school) name
- An employer’s written confirmation on school letterhead or certificate of employment
Secondary students— must show evidence of current enrollment at an accredited, government-recognized public or private secondary school by providing one of the following:
- A copy of a student ID card containing your (the student’s) name, school name, and the current academic year
- A copy of a report card, a tuition statement, or a letter from the school administration that confirms your enrollment status (all documentation must contain the school, district, or local authority name, your name, and a date reflecting the current academic year)
Homeschool teachers or students—You must show evidence of status as a homeschool teacher3 by providing one of the following:
- A current copy of a Homeschool Membership Association card
- A current copy of a curriculum receipt
- Any official documentation issued by the local/state government that recognizes your family’s intent to homeschool
Available Academic purchases for individuals
Eligible students and educators may purchase individual “Academic Student” or “Academic Teacher” versions of our software at significant discounts from the online Avid Store or an Avid Authorized Reseller. Students and educators must provide proof of eligibility (as outlined above) to receive a serial number for their Academic product. In addition, Academic Student versions of Media Composer 7 and Sibelius 7 include up to four years of complimentary upgrades from the time of software activation.
Available Academic purchases for institutions (multi-seat licenses)
Eligible academic institutions may purchase multi-seat licenses for Sibelius, Pro Tools, and/or Media Composer. In some cases volume discounts may apply. This type of purchase must be made through a school or university purchase order. Please contact an Avid Authorized Reseller for assistance with multi-seat licenses.
- Avid Academic Teacher and Student pricing is not available in these embargoed countries: Cuba, North Korea, Iran, Sudan, and Syria
- Applies to single purchases only of a specific product or a bundled product
- Elementary/primary school students do not qualify for student discounts/pricing
- Students taking courses at non-government accredited career/vocational schools are not qualified to purchase Avid Academic products.
- For higher education students, “current” is defined as within the last six months.
- All documentation confirming employment of faculty/staff must be dated within the last six months.