AAX Connectivity Toolkit
The Avid Audio Plug-in Developer Program offers a full range of resources to develop high-quality audio effects and virtual instrument plug-ins that work seamlessly with Pro Tools and other award-winning audio products from Avid including Media Composer. As a member, you’ll receive:
- Detailed documentation including a continually updated SDK, technical notes, and code examples to get you started quickly
- Technical support via a forum where Avid professionals and fellow developers can assist you with your questions and issues
- Access to a variety of social media, event and web-based co-marketing services to market your products to our mutual customers
- Guidelines to test your product with Pro Tools systems for performance and compatibility
- Invitations to Development Partners Conferences, kitchens, and other community events
As you decide whether to create an audio plug-in for the Avid platform, here are some important things to know:
- You will be required to review and accept a developer agreement and license that includes a confidentiality agreement and some restrictions on how the Avid developer materials are used.
- You must be willing to make your product available for commercial sale to end-users. We don’t offer our developer materials or services for academic use, experimentation, or “just to check them out.
- The only third-party plug-ins that we allow through this program are software-based effects and virtual instruments. If you have an idea for a different type of product, please have a look at our other programs, particularly the Audio Workflow Solutions program.
- AAX plug-ins must be digitally signed and this requires a fee in certain cases. This is part of a comprehensive technical effort to prevent the use of unauthorized copies of your plug-ins (“cracks”) with Avid products.
- You need to be familiar with C++ object-oriented programming. Plug-ins designed for our hardware-accelerated platforms require that you are also familiar with their associated hardware and design tools. Knowledge of the Avid products you are targeting for plug-in development is also key to delivering effective solutions.
Avid offers and continually updates the AAX platform for audio plug-in development. Designed from the ground up, it offers a richly-featured, flexible platform for plug-in development that is engineered for growth. Our developer community is delivering AAX plug-ins for Pro Tools based on plug-ins available on pre-existing Avid platforms and delivering new creations. AAX DSP plug-ins are designed to work on the latest flagship professional digital audio workstation, Pro Tools | HDX. Avid plans to continue to enhance the AAX platform based on your ideas and input, and to drive this groundbreaking technology into future products.