Avid Education offers a number of Media Composer certifications, validating user skills from novice to expert. The first of these certifications is the Avid Certified User for Media Composer, providing an industry recognized credential for both academic users and industry professionals.
To gain the title of Avid Certified User for Media Composer, you must take two foundational courses, Media Composer Fundamentals I (MC101) and Media Composer Fundamentals II (MC110), before sitting and passing the associated certification exam, as shown in the graphic below.
Becoming an Avid Certified User for Media Composer verifies that you possess a fundamental understanding of and the capability to use Media Composer, together with a firm grasp of the core skills, workflows, and concepts of non-linear editing on the Avid Media Composer system.
While Avid does not certify the creative skills of the individual, the technical and operational skillset developed through this certification program is designed to qualify students to enter the workforce as post-production assistants, assistant editors, or video editors.
Becoming an Avid Certified User for Media Composer allows you to:
- Demonstrate your user skills and that you have a firm grasp of the core skills, workflows, and concepts of non-linear editing on the Avid Media Composer system
- Provide measurable benefits to your employer
- Differentiate yourself from peers
- Make your résumé stand out and leverage the power of the Avid brand with downloadable Avid Certified User logos
- Prove your credentials with a Certificate of Achievement
- Gain recognition from your employer and peers with our online Certified Professional listing
As an employer, use the Avid Certified User credential as a benchmark so you can:
- Find the right person for the job
- Quickly assess candidate skill level
- Invest in and promote your most promising employees
- Keep your systems running at top performance, with little to no downtime
Once certified, you will have the opportunity to further deepen your Media Composer expertise and add to your credentials by pursuing one or more of the follow on Media Composer certifications, such as the Avid Certified User for Media Composer | NewsCutter Option, Avid Certified Professional in Media Composer, or even an Avid Certified Support Engineer for Media Composer.
Check out the full range of Avid Certifications for Media Composer.
How do I become an Avid Certified User for Media Composer?
Firstly attend the two courses:
To certify you must complete each course, including course projects/exercises, at an official Avid Learning Partner, then pass the certification each exam.
Where are the classes offered?
Media Composer classes and certification exams are offered worldwide at Avid Learning Partner schools and training centers. Find an Avid Learning Partner.
Who should take these classes? What if I already know how to edit?
The certification courses are designed for film and television editors, producers, or anyone involved in video post-production. For students already familiar with non-linear editing, each course can be taught in short, 2- to 3-day intensive classes. This type of training can be more appropriate for experienced professionals who simply need to learn the software or update their skills.
Alternatively, the courses are also taught in academic environments over several months (typically, one semester each) to students who are learning the concepts and techniques of editing at the same time they are learning the software. Pick the format that is right for you.
How much does certification cost?
Course fees are set independently by Avid Learning Partners. Students are required to purchase a course book, which includes the cost of the course exam, and a single retake, if required. Additional retakes are chargeable.
Can I refer to study materials during the exam?
No. Students are not allowed to reference any documentation or study materials during the exam.
What is the format of the exam?
The exam is comprised of 50 questions with 60 minutes allotted to complete.
Test items are presented in the following formats:
- Multiple Choice: Select the single option that best answers the question
- Illustration Review: Refer to the illustration (e.g. Media Composer interface) prior to answering the multiple choice question
- Illustration Response: Select the single image that best answers the question
What happens if I take the exam and do not pass?
Exam results are shown immediately when an exam is completed and submitted for evaluation. Unless a candidate is banned from retaking the exams for reasons of fraud or rule violations, the following retake policy applies:
- If a student does not pass an exam, the candidate may retake the exam after 24 hours have passed
- Once a student has passed an exam, it may not be taken again for that version of the Avid product
What will I receive if I successfully pass the exam?
Along with pride and confidence of becoming an Avid Certified User for Media Composer you will receive:
- Official certificate available for printing or download, proving your Avid Certified User status
- Downloadable Logos, for use in your resume, business marketing materials such as business cards and websites
- (Optional with your express consent) Listing of your credentials on Avid.com under Find a Certified Professional
How long is certification good for?
Your Media Composer certification does not expire. You become certified for a particular version of Media Composer software. You may find it beneficial to update your certification to the current version from time to time. Contact your local Avid Learning Partner for more information.