Avid Connect, Las Vegas, 4/7/2018
Avid empowers news organizations to tap into the cloud and artificial intelligence to quickly and efficiently deliver high-quality, engaging stories across TV and social media
Avid® (Nasdaq: AVID), the platform that powers media and entertainment, today announced apps, services and solutions to accelerate news workflows with the cloud. These innovations optimize collaboration, accessibility and distribution required to capture the significant opportunity of engaging news viewers on any device. Avid is empowering news organizations to create, manage and deliver breaking news to television, social media and other outlets faster than ever before. Unveiled today at the fifth annual Avid Connect, these news workflow advancements will be demonstrated during the NAB Show at Avid’s booth #SU801, April 9-12.
“Our largest ever unveiling of apps, services and solutions will help the news community tap into the power of the cloud and all of its potential to be first to get their stories in front of audiences everywhere,” said Alan Hoff, Vice President, Market Solutions at Avid. “We’re extremely excited to see how far our customers can go with the power, scalability, and elasticity of the cloud, and the growing development ecosystem that’s expanding MediaCentral® capabilities.”
Enabling news organizations to meet consumer demand for news content delivered to any device, while optimizing collaboration and access to content, Avid’s news workflow innovations integrate Avid’s industry-leading products including:
- Avid | On Demand: A cloud services and solutions platform that provides media production capabilities on demand, Avid | On Demand lets media organizations conveniently deploy the capabilities they need on a per project basis with optimal elasticity—and without a drawn-out deployment phase or large capital outlay.
- MediaCentral: The MediaCentral platform provides the most comprehensive end-to-end solution for news production, covering everything from information gathering and content creation, all the way to multiplatform delivery. Completely customizable and modular, MediaCentral features a groundbreaking cloud-based user experience accessible on any device; workflow modules and apps; and a wide array of media services and partner connectors. Every user is connected in a completely integrated workflow environment and gains a unified view into all their media—on premises, in a private data center, or via the public cloud. New MediaCentral apps include:
- MediaCentral | Publish app (available now): Enables journalists and producers to deliver on-air content to audiences on websites and social media platforms.
- MediaCentral | Rundown app (available now): Enables producers to manage rundowns and produce shows by making it easy to duplicate, group, and associate stories with sequences and execute monitor functions during live news show production.
- MediaCentral | Research app (available summer 2018): Enables journalists to simplify newsgathering by consolidating the ingest of news content from news feeds, social media, and other sources to incorporate the latest developing information into their stories.
- Maestro™ News app (available second half of 2018): The new Maestro News app within MediaCentral | Cloud UX offers access to a full graphics production workflow from anywhere. Journalists can drag and drop clips and images directly from MediaCentral into Maestro | News graphics templates to accelerate real-time broadcast graphics production.
- x.news (available summer 2018): x.news, an Avid Alliance partner, has leveraged the MediaCentral SDK to integrate its app for monitoring incoming social media and news ticker feeds so journalists, directors, and producers can easily watch as a story develops and incorporate late-breaking developments into their own stories.
- Avid NEXIS® | E5 NL (available summer 2018): The new Avid NEXIS | E5 NL is a high-density on-premises nearline storage solution that gives broadcast teams faster access to archived media, enabling them to quickly browse, search and shot-select proxies of high-resolution assets on tape. This capability eliminates the need to restore large amounts of high-res material just to search for the ideal clip as the news cycle changes. Rough-cut sequences can be created using the proxy that’s instantly available on Avid NEXIS | E5 NL, enabling partial file restore from tape of only the required clips. Further, broadcasters can go to air with the proxy if all the high-res assets are not restored. This enables news teams to get on air first with the best story possible.
- Avid FastServe™ | Playout (available summer 2018): Avid’s new file-based playback server for video clips, images and motion graphics offers both IP I/O and UHD playout with the ability for both IP and SDI in the same configuration. FastServe | Playout is deeply integrated into MediaCentral-based news workflows for lightning-fast turnaround and allows playback of mixed media with no transcoding directly from Avid NEXIS without copying the content to local storage first.
- Avid | Shared Library On Demand (available second half of 2018): Part of the Avid | On Demand cloud services and solutions platform, Avid | Shared Library On Demand is a powerful cloud-based solution that provides a media library to allow users to store, manage, and search for content using the MediaCentral platform. Editors, loggers, directors, producers, and archivists can all securely connect to a common library that makes media accessible from any device, wherever they are.
- Avid | AI (available second half of 2018): Part of the Avid | On Demand cloud services and solutions platform, Avid | AI is set of cloud services that utilize machine learning to automate content indexing and provides unprecedented accuracy for facial and scene recognition to text, and audio analysis. Avid | AI is a combination of Avid-developed tools and tools from Microsoft Cognitive Services, giving users tremendous flexibility to enhance and create deeply searchable content repositories accessible from the MediaCentral platform.
- Avid | Transformation (available second half of 2018): Part of the Avid | On Demand cloud services and solutions platform, Avid | Transformation is a new suite of automated transformation services including auto-transcoding, watermarking, and content repackaging for delivery to any device, anywhere. Transformation services are being developed both by Avid and our certified partners, giving users the flexibility to choose the service that best fits their needs and price points.
To learn more about news workflow innovations powered by MediaCentral, please visit http://www.avid.com/solutions/news-production.
Avid delivers the most open and efficient media platform, connecting content creation with collaboration, asset protection, distribution, and consumption. Avid’s preeminent customer community uses Avid’s comprehensive tools and workflow solutions to create, distribute and monetize the most watched, loved and listened to media in the world—from prestigious and award-winning feature films to popular television shows, news programs and televised sporting events, and celebrated music recordings and live concerts. With the most flexible deployment and pricing options, Avid’s industry-leading solutions include Media Composer®, Pro Tools®, Avid NEXIS®, MediaCentral®, iNEWS®, AirSpeed®, Sibelius®, Avid VENUE™, FastServe®, and Maestro™. For more information about Avid solutions and services, visit www.avid.com, connect with Avid on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, or subscribe to Avid Blogs.
© 2019 Avid Technology, Inc. All rights reserved. Avid, the Avid logo, Avid NEXIS, FastServe, AirSpeed, iNEWS, Maestro, MediaCentral, Media Composer, Pro Tools, Avid VENUE, and Sibelius are trademarks or registered trademarks of Avid Technology, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Product features, specifications, system requirements and availability are subject to change without notice.