To operate in the fast-paced world of Post Production requires an understanding of the advanced tools within Media Composer and the workflows involved in creating professional programs is essential. Achieving the certification status of Avid Certified Professional in Media Composer demonstrates the ability to use a wide range of advanced tools, including multi-camera and script-based editing, audio mixing and sound design, motion tracking and stabilization, combined with keys, mattes, and paint effects.
The Avid Certified Professional in Media Composer is the next level up in Media Composer certification, building on the skills and capabilities validated by becoming an Avid Certified User: Media Composer. Achieving the Avid Certified Professional in Media Composer certification demonstrates a higher level of efficiency by applying more advanced techniques and carefully designed workflows.
To gain the title of Avid Certified Professional in Media Composer you must first of all be an Avid Certified User for Media Composer. Then you sit two further courses, Media Composer Professional Editing I (MC201) and Media Composer Professional Editing II (MC210) before passing the associated certification exam.
While Avid does not certify the creative skills of the individual, the technical and operational skillset developed through this certification program is designed to advance candidate’s career opportunities as post-production assistants, assistant editors, or video editors.
An Avid Certified Professional is a tangible, industry-recognized credential allowing you to:
- Demonstrate an advanced skill set in utilizing Media Composer to create high quality professional video assets
- Provide measurable benefits to your employer
- Differentiate yourself from peers
- Make your résumé stand out and leverage the power of the Avid brand with downloadable Avid Certified logos
- Prove your credentials with a Certificate of Achievement
- Gain recognition from your employer and peers with our online Certified Professional listing
As an employer, use the Avid Certified credential as a benchmark so you can:
- Find the right person for the job
- Quickly assess candidate skill level
- Invest in and promote your most promising employees
- Keep your systems running at top performance, with little to no downtime
Are there any prerequisites?
Yes. You must first earn the credential of Avid Certified User for Media Composer before you can enroll in the classes to become an Avid Certified Professional.
How do I become an Avid Certified Professional in Media Composer?
Firstly attend the two courses:
To certify you must complete each course, including course projects/exercises, at an official Avid Learning Partner, then pass each course completion exam.
Where are the classes offered?
Media Composer classes and certification exams are offered worldwide at Avid Learning Partner schools and training centers. Find an Avid Learning Partner.
How much does certification cost?
Course fees are set independently by Avid Learning Partners. Students are required to purchase a course book, which includes the cost of the course exam, and a single retake, if required. Additional retakes are chargeable.
Can I refer to study materials during each exam?
No. Students are not allowed to reference any documentation or study materials during the exam.
What is the format of the exam?
The exam is comprised of 50 questions with 60 minutes allotted to complete.
Test items are presented in the following formats:
- Multiple Choice: Select the single option that best answers the question
- Illustration Review: Refer to the illustration (e.g. Media Composer interface) prior to answering the multiple choice question
- Illustration Response: Select the single image that best answers the question
What happens if I take the exam and do not pass?
Exam results are shown immediately when an exam is completed and submitted for evaluation. Unless a candidate is banned from retaking the exams for reasons of fraud or rule violations, the following retake policy applies:
- If a student does not pass an exam, the candidate may retake the exam after 24 hours have passed
- Once a student has passed an exam, it may not be taken again for that version of the Avid product
What will I receive if I successfully pass the exam?
Along with pride and confidence of becoming a part of an elite group of Avid Certified Professionals in Media Composer you will receive:
- Official certificate available for printing or download, proving your Avid Certified User status
- Downloadable Logos, for use in your resume, business marketing materials such as business cards and websites
- (Optional with your express consent) Listing of your credentials on Avid.com under Find a Certified Professional
How long is certification good for?
Your Media Composer certification does not expire. You become certified for a particular version of Media Composer software. You may find it beneficial to update your certification to the current version from time to time. Contact your local Avid Learning Partner for more information.