Avid Education offers a number of Pro Tools certifications, validating user skills from novice to expert. The first of these certifications is the Avid Certified User for Pro Tools, providing an industry recognized credential for both academic users and industry professionals.
To gain the title of Avid Certified User for Pro Tools, you must take two foundational courses, Pro Tools Fundamentals I (PT101) and Pro Tools Fundamentals II (PT110), before sitting and passing the associated certification exam, as shown in the graphic below.
Becoming an Avid Certified User for Pro Tools verifies that you possess a fundamental understanding of and the capability to use Avid Pro Tools to engineer a project through to completion, with all of the fundamental operational skills to record, edit, mix and output the finished session.
Becoming an Avid Certified User for Pro Tools allows you to:
- Demonstrate your fundamental competency in digital audio editing and mixing with Avid Pro Tools
- Provide measurable benefits to your employer
- Differentiate yourself from peers
- Make your résumé stand out and leverage the power of the Avid brand with downloadable Avid Certified User logos
- Prove your credentials with a Certificate of Achievement
- Gain recognition from your employer and peers with our online Certified Professional listing
As an employer, use the Avid Certified User credential as a benchmark so you can:
- Find the right person for the job
- Quickly assess candidate skill level
- Invest in and promote your most promising employees
- Keep your systems running at top performance, with little to no downtime
Once certified, you will have the opportunity to further deepen your Pro Tools expertise and add to your credentials by pursuing one or more of the follow on Pro Tools certifications, such as Avid Certified Operator and Avid Certified Expert for Pro Tools | Music or Pro Tools | Post, or even an Avid Certified Support Engineer for Pro Tools.
Check out the full range of Avid Certifications for Pro Tools
How do I become an Avid Certified User for Pro Tools?
Firstly attend the two courses;
To certify you must complete each course, including course projects/exercises, at an official Avid Learning Partner, then pass each course completion exam.
Where are the classes offered?
Pro Tools classes and certification exams are offered worldwide at Avid Learning Partner schools and training centers. Find an Avid Learning Partner.
What if I already know how to edit & mix in another application and just need to learn Pro Tools?
The certification courses are designed for all engineers, producers, or anyone involved in the creation and delivery of digital audio. For students already familiar with other DAWs and mixing fundamentals, each course can be taught in short 2 to 3 day intensive classes. This type of training can be more appropriate for experienced professionals who simply need to learn the software or update their skills.
Alternatively, the courses are also taught in academic environments over several months or years to students who are learning the concepts at the same time as the fundamental operational skills to record, edit, mix, and output a finished session. Pick the format that is right for you.
How much does certification cost?
Course fees are set independently by Avid Learning Partners. Students are required to purchase a course book, which includes the cost of the course exam, and a single retake, if required. Additional retakes are chargeable.
Can I refer to study materials during the exam?
No. Students are not allowed to reference any documentation or study materials during the exam.
What is the format of the exam?
The exam is comprised of 50 questions with 60 minutes allotted to complete.
Test items are presented in the following formats:
- Multiple Choice: Select the single option that best answers the question
- Illustration Review: Refer to the illustration prior to answering the multiple choice question
- Illustration Response: Select the single image that best answers the question
What happens if I take the exam and do not pass?
Exam results are shown immediately when an exam is completed and submitted for evaluation. Unless a candidate is banned from retaking the exams for reasons of fraud or rule violations, the following retake policy applies:
- If a student does not pass an exam, the candidate may retake the exam after 24 hours have passed
- Once a student has passed an exam, it may not be taken again for that version of the Avid product
What will I receive if I successfully pass the exam?
Along with pride and confidence of becoming an Avid Certified User for Pro Tools you will receive:
- Official certificate available for printing or download, proving your Avid Certified User status.
- Downloadable Logos, for use in your resume, business marketing materials such as business cards and websites.
- (Optional with your express consent) Listing of your credentials on Avid.com. Find a Certified Professional
How long is certification good for?
Your Pro Tools certification does not expire. You become certified for a particular version of Pro Tools software. You may find it beneficial to update your certification to the current version from time to time. Contact your local Avid Learning Partner for more information.